Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Moulin Rouge! (2001)



Ewan McGregor has pipes!!  I already knew I like this movie.  I've seen it many times.  This time I really tried to watch for direction issues and shot selection.  What I noticed was that this movie just has an inordinate and silly number of shots.  My guess is that it contains roughly twice the number of cuts in comparison to normal movie of the same length.  When you are not mesmerized by song and dance, try to keep count without a clicker.  It will surprise you.  Perhaps this is Baz Luhrmann's way of making the movie more like music video.  Given that I'd never really noticed the number of shots in all my previous viewings, I can only say that Baz did an amazing job of letting the movie play to its core.

Ratings

Frat Boys:  already seen it (don't deny it.)

Elton John:  Doesn't need to...He gets royalties

Non-native English Speakers:  Catch the fever

Music haters:  Skip it

Grinches:  Skip it, unless you want your heart to grow three times in size

On a scale of The Rocketeer to CHUD, I give Moulin Rouge! 4.0 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment