Friday, February 3, 2012

Hero (2002)



Right so I'm going to skip the totalitarian critique as well redundant and silly.  I thought this film was a complete Rashoman inspired trip.  I sort of want to describe it as Color fused Ten Commandments meets Rashoman in a Crouching Tiger style epic.  Seriously, the colors and history of the Hero are spectacular.  To be clear, the story telling style with it's many flashbacks and outright lies made for a very engaging story.  Hero also breaks with my predisposition that it is generally a bad idea to make calligraphy a central theme within in a movie.  Calligraphy is such a subtle medium that it does not translate well to film.  I was slightly confused as to whether the character of Zhang Xi Yi was necessary to the plot.  I land on that she was not.  But, I did like her performance and her double-sword fight sequences.

Ratings

Men of Zhao:  Skip it

Jackie Chan:  Skip it

Samurai sword purists:  Skip it

Acrobats:  See it

History Purists:  Skip it

On a rating of HOT hot pot to hot pot, I give Hero 3.5 out of 5 stars.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment