Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)


"If it loses...We eats it whole."  (Gollum/Smeagol)

I will admit that the Hobbit as a film is not incredible.  It does not live up to the lofty mark set by its cousins.  But, it never could.  So, I am not disappointed with it.  (No one should be, really.)  I actually loved it.  I even saw it in 3D with the high frame rate.  I thought the Dwarves were fantastic.  Biffer with the ax piece still in his head.  Boffer with his silly hat.  Dwalin with with his snarl.  Gloin with his ear trumpet. (Yeah, that's a thing and it's back.) Balin and his beard. And an incredible bit of acting to bring Thorin to life.  Also, Radagast the Brown is great.  I love that his sleigh is pulled by rabbits, and that Saurman accuses him of having his mind addled by mushrooms.  (Christopher Lee is 90 years old.)  Additionally, I thought the Goblin King with the giant "waddle" was the best monster I have seen in like 4 years.  Just so gross......  But, yeah, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is basically a marginally above average movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. I look forward to part II.

Ratings:

Hobbits:  See it

Set designers: See it

Monster makers: See it

Upset Fan boys:  See it.  Get upset.  Don't tell me all about it.  Make you own Hobbit movie to soothe your entitlement.  I'll watch it.  I'll even put it up on the blog.  

Book Purists:  Don't see it.  I assume that because you are a book purist you wouldn't want to.  But if for some reason you do, and again because you are a book purist, I am sure that you would have tons of snarky critiques for this movie. Please don't whine to me.  

On a scale of love you never went for to a slap in the face, I give The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3 out of 4 stars.    

                

No comments:

Post a Comment