Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Bridesmaids (2011)



"It's coming out like lava!!"  (Megan)

"I want to apologize.  I'm not even confident of which end that came out of." (Megan)

 "Female fight club. We grease up, we pull in. Lillian doesn't know so it's 'Surprise, we're going to fight!" (Megan)

Poop, vomit, and all other body functions and secretions are still funny.  Always will be.  Yup.  Farts (ahahahahahahah!!!!)  

However, a newer, distastefully chic, and unbelievably funny phenomenon has been taking hold of American comedies for the past oh 15 years.  I like to call it: The Cringe joke.  Typically, I think of jokes as being the back beat rhythm to any great comedy.  Their short, linguistically, culturally, and/or scatologically playful pieces that keep a movie going strong.  (chuckles all around.)  But, a Cringe joke is a joke with no punchline that just keeps going and going and going and going, all the while getting worse and worse and worse until you as the audience can't stand it.  (Please make it stop!!!)  I find these kind of sequences and jokes to be incredibly funny, but a serious drain on my morale and psyche.  This is what happened to me while I was watching Bridesmaids.  Kristen Wiig is giving her maid of honor speech at the engagement party and continues to get upstaged by Helen.  So Kirsten tries to upstage Helen back..but, just makes matters worse and worse.  It takes about 5 minutes out of a movie that is 2 hours and 5 minutes. AKA 4% of the movie is this one joke.  The scene is well cut and well acted.  I actually yelled out to my TV, "Make it stop!"

Ratings:

Bridezillas:  See it

Got 100% commitment?:  Just watch Melissa McCarthy devour her role at 100mph.

From Milwaukee :  See it.  (I can't really think of any other movies set in Milwaukee.)    

Fear flying?:  Skip it.  My nightmares about flying are less trauma inducing than their flight to Las Vegas.  

Grooms:  Skip it.  (The one in this movie is absolutely non-existent.)

On a scale from  Hershey's Kisses to Baby Ruths, I give Bridesmaids 3.6 out of 5 stars.  


      

No comments:

Post a Comment