Monday, October 2, 2017

Passengers (2016)


Gus Manusco: "But the drowning man will always try and drag somebody down with him. It ain't right, but the man's drowning."

Quick: Despite a promising golden age of Sci-fi set up, Passengers is earnestly boring and a little unsatisfying.

The setting of Passengers is one that I can get behind.  What would I do if I work up on an automated spaceship with no one else and it was going to be that way for the rest of my life? I honestly don't know. Solitude and I are not the greatest of companions. But, the struggle I would have internally regarding "a way out" I can only imagine as an ant to a spaceshuttle. The subsequent decision to bring a second person out of hibernation to share in one's pain, is also similarly tragic/flawed/understandable. The ground for this movie was fertile for theatrical exploration.

Unfortunately, instead of the whole film, this section was only given about 30%.  The rest of it is visual crowd-pleasing space movie with little soul and predictable outcomes. The ship is in trouble -Oh no!

Chris Pratt is acceptable, Michael Sheen is wasted, and Jennifer Lawrence just seems out of place (at all times.) The best actor was Laurence Fishburne.  Oh and why did Andy Garcia make a cameo? Was his role important in some alternate edit/draft?

2/5 -skip it if you can, but feel free to fall asleep after the first quarter on a Sunday afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment