Sunday, October 15, 2017

Bahubali: The Beginning (2015)


"I did." -Kattappa (in reference to who killed Bahubali's father -also name Bahubali.)

FYI: Watching the 2 parts of Bahubali should be done in order, but that doesn't make the timelines choices of the creators any less jarring. Alas, this is only a review of part 1. (I unfortunately watched part 2 first and without subtitles, which biases my review.) 

Quick: For the uninitiated an Indian movie can be jarring; songs out of no where, allusions you don't understand, motivations that seem unclear, iconic imagery that lacks pull, etc. While I aspire to be culturally attuned, I cannot say that I took Bahubali into my heart. It came off as a colorful, 80's esque action film with big plot holes and bewildering substance. But it was fun. I really did enjoy the music and the hair. The hair was spectacular.

Thoughts: My big thought upon watching ":The Beginning" was how masculinity is showcased differently in different cultures and at different times. My own response is that I don't particularly identify with the musclebound machismo with a mullet style of man that is presented as the paragon for the many different kinds of Indians. It was like watching Conan: The Barbarian, Commando, and He-Man, but from an Indian perspective and with dancing (and 30 years in the future.). I do find it odd that the movie expects me to accept that Bahubali is royal because of his crazy strength, wit, dance moves, swagger, and incorruptibility. This fact is presented in a manner as to be an, "of course". This may fit into larger narratives to which I have no knowledge, but this immediately broke my suspension of disbelief and moved Bahubali into the realm of farce. I laughed. Often. I don't think I was supposed to.

Thought Experiment: I see that these kinds of films will be some part of the future of global cinema. How will Western markets/cultures react as India/China start pushing their soft power out for the masses? How will it change what I think of as masculinity, and those that grow up behind me?

Score: 2.4/5 I'd say see it. Learn something. Embrace things you don't quite understand. 


No comments:

Post a Comment