Sunday, October 15, 2017

Baahubali: The Conclusion (2017)



Sivagami: This is my order. And, my order is the law.

Quick: A savage if drawn out conclusion/prologue culminating in intergenerational revenge. Satisfying in a don't think too hard about it kind of way.

Introspection: Imagine if they had released The Lord of the Rings movies with the Return of the King first, then Fellowship of The Ring, then all 3 Hobbit movies, and concluded with The Two Towers.  That's what it feels like to watch Bahubali 2: The Conclusion -even more so if you did not see part 1. *Spoiler* The reveal that Bahubali has a son and that his son is instantaneously grown and played by the same actor is just too much.  It is true that taking segments of story and placing them out of chronological order can be a boon to story telling and make the experience more enjoyable for the audience as they are privilege to future/past information that characters are not. Unfortunately, for Bahubali, this use is a giant fail.

Score: 2.8 out of 5 stars- Again I recommend it as a way to improve one's understanding of Indian (Tamil) cinema, but I wouldn't watch it for its other qualities -maybe the hair.

I want to give a special shout out to Nassar.  -I've been seeing him everywhere across Southern Indian films of late and I think he is excellent. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0621937/


No comments:

Post a Comment