Sunday, March 2, 2014

The LEGO movie (2014)



"a spaceship.  A Spaceship.  A SPACESHIP!" (Retro LEGO spaceman)

If you were to make a list of the top 100 things in life that I like, LEGOs, imagination, and childhood enthusiasm would definitely be there.  Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo, knights, dragons, cowboys, spaceships, Star Wars, Batman, and submarines are likely on my top 500 list.  Of all the things in the world.

Thus, The LEGO movie is a plethora of all the things I love.  It is even better that the producers, director, and writers all understood what there were doing.  In short, LEGO movie is a very very well made movie for kids. (and kids at heart.) "Everything is awesome!!"

On a different note it is not too many movies that attempt to split the planes of their reality.  The last movie to do it successfully, in my book, was Inception.  The LEGO movie's solution of making the Lego story a creative and intuitive part of the larger human drama is charming and brilliant.

On a scale of following the instructions to FREE FOR ALL, I give The LEGO movie 3.9 out of 5 stars.  

     

1 comment:

  1. Solid review, the farther I get from the experience of seeing this movie the less I liked it however in the moment it was brilliant, engaging, and fun.

    ReplyDelete