Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cool Runnings (1993)



"Greetings, Sled God!" (Sanka)

So I am currently watching Women's bobsled, and I thought this would be a good opportunity to revisit a "classic".  But, let's get one thing straight:  Cool Runnings is not a classic.  It is a sub par movie that has an amazing soundtrack, reasonable writing, and the legendary John Candy.  I wish that those laudable points were enough change the nature of this Cool beast, but it is not the case.

So one of the things that I noticed when I watched Cool Runnings, this time, was the epic music of Hans Zimmer.  The final sequence's music evokes just the right tone to makes one's heart swell with Jamaican pride.  The soundtrack also features a bevy of era appropriate groovy reggae hits. If you were interested there is the official theme song of the 88 Calgary games. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0-ltRXAC4

Lastly, I love John Candy.  I wish he hadn't died so young.  This isn't his greatest movie.  But, he makes it sparkle.

On a scale of kissing the lucky egg to frenching the lucky egg, I give Cool Runnings 3.0 out of 5 stars.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment