Monday, March 10, 2014

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)


[We in the game making biz, call it "the wrinkle."] -Plutarch Heavensby

Yikes.  I know I didn't see the first movie or read any of the books, but I pretty certain that this series and movie were highly influenced by the classic movies Battle Royal and The Running Man.  In fact, Stanley Tucci is doing his very best hammed up Richard Dawson impression https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xStvfbIddM0  

Suffice it to say that I am of the opinion that if your original dystopian novel for teens and young adults is just a rehash of previous works, it just isn't very good.  Basically, what I learned is that a large chunk of the book reading teenage/adult market either is too young to understand how badly this compares to even semi-original works or just don't care to think it through.  ughhhh.  

On to silly points:  Lenny Kravitz is in this movie for some reason. I didn't really understand why.  Elizabeth Banks absolutely stole the show with her acting and those out of control costumes.  Oh and I would be remiss if I didn't say that having a viewing friend poke you and say "The Claw"(in Toy Story voice) every time a character gets picked up by a claw is extremely funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Esh4W3dfI

On a scale of a straight remake to strict exploitation, I give The Hunger Games: Catching Fire 2.9 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment