Thursday, March 13, 2014

Frozen (2013)



"Don't know if I'm elated or gassy, but I'm somewhere in that zone." (Anna)
"It's not WEASELtown.  It's WeasELtown." (Alan Tudyk-The Duke)

Delightful.  That's pretty much all you need to know.  I consider Frozen to possibly in the Top 15 Disney Animated Movies of all-time.  Seriously, it is borderline magical.

Kristen Bell:  I didn't know you could sing.  Wow!
Josh Gad:  I knew you were funny and could sing...but still...way to go!

 However, I want to talk about the genius that is Robert Lopez (the songwriter).  I saw Frozen a week ago and I'm still listening to the sound track on Spotify.  Let's start with that he won an Oscar for "Let it go", No doubt; applause applause.  But, that actually means that he has EGOTed in a little under a decade.  Let me repeat that. He won an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony in less than 10 years.  Think about what you have been doing since 2004 and ponder that it just couldn't and hasn't been as magical as Robert Lopez's life.  Oh, little hint, if fans love your songs so much that Disney has to release sing-along versions with the words during the original theatrical release, you done good.

As a music nerd, I geek out about this kinda stuff.  In Lopez's songs I hear the break from traditional Disney songs so clear.  Instead of ABABCA song writing, Frozen is full of asymmetrical section schemes, forecasted rhymes that never land, and broadway musical level counterpoint. Let it GO!

On a scale of Beauty & the Beast to The Black Cauldron, I give Frozen 4.1 out of 5 stars.      

No comments:

Post a Comment