Saturday, January 4, 2014

Zoolander (2001)



"Hansel, So hot right now." (Basically, everyone)
"So I'm rappelling down Mount Vesuvius when suddenly I slip, and I start to fall. Just falling, ahh ahh, I'll never forget the terror. When suddenly I realize "Holy shit, Hansel, haven't you been smoking Peyote for six straight days, and couldn't some of this maybe be in your head?" (Hansel)
"And?" (Derek Zoolander)
"And it was. I was totally fine. I've never even been to Mount Vesuvius." (Hansel)

Upon rewatching Zoolander for the first time since its release in 2001-2, I can safely say that its comedic brilliance did not hold up.  Fortunately, watching it in a 2013 world reveals all new kinds of hilarity. I guess I never thought about it but Zoolander must have actually been kind of ridiculous to make; not so much the movie, but the world of the movie.  Basically, I think that both Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson had to endure the making of Zoolander twice.  One time it was just weeks of them in costumes, poses, clothes, and making faces.  The second time was the actual movie.  Seriously there must be up to 500 different photographic evidence ploys generated (meaning there must be about 10 shots for every one use and an additional 500 unused takes with 10 per.  So both Ben and Owen endured 10,000 to 12,000 photograph sessions in addition to the movie.)  The photos of them doing strange things are actually better than the film now.
Some examples:



Ratings:
David Bowie:  Must see
One liner enthusiasts:  see it
Photomanipulators:  see it
Will Ferrell:  Oh Mugatu
Into fashion?:  Totally

On a scale of Blue Steel to Magnum, I give Zoolander 3.3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment