Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)



"Tell me what to say.  But, don't tell me what to say." (Aunt Voula)

"Yeah well.....I'm the least of your worries. Listen - the family knows. Last night, Vicky Pavalopolos saw you suckin the lips off his head in the Denny's parking lot. Well, she told her ma, who told my ma, who told your ma. Let me put it this way - you're busted." (Cousin Nikki)

Authenticity is hard to put on film.  It's part of the reason that Youtube fail videos are so funny and live sports is so thrilling.  It is real. There is no acting just people.

I assert that My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a classic not because of it's excellent writing, and perfect cast, but because it is AUTHENTIC.  It is the Greek way.  I am part Greek, I should know.  (And yes, we invented everything. It's true.)  The church they used is the right church; the cousins all being named the same is spot on; the food is The Real Food; even the fruit punch machine on the top of the counter at Dancing Zorbas is perfect. (We had the exact same one at my church up until 2000ish.) Oh and did I mention that the wedding party looks a lot like the photos of my parents wedding, which they maintain was just like the movie.

From a technical aspect, I was shocked at how many wipes were used in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  I guess I just never noticed.  Usually, I associate wipes with Kurosawa or George Lukas, but I think the use of them for reality breaking repeat montage worked well: Kissing and leaving (over and over), different suitors (over and over).

Ratings:

Greeks:  Saw it.  If you are Greek you saw it.  And "there you go."
Etymologists: See it, love it, cringe (Oh and Etymology comes from Greek)
Wedding planners: See it
Tom Hanks:  I think you deserve some additional credit for making this movie happen
Big weird families:  See it

On a scale from eye balls to make you smart to the matti, I give My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3.89 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment