Friday, November 1, 2013

Ratatouille (2007)



"Got your toque!" (Chef Skinner)
"Keep your station clear or I WILL KILL YOU!" (Colette Tatou)
"I haven't reviewed Gusteau's in years.  My last review condemned it to the tourist trade. I wrote "Finally Chef Gusteau has found his rightful place in history alongside another equally famous chef... Monsieur Boy-ar-dee.". That was were I left it. That was my last word.  THE last word.  So tell me, Ambrister, how can it be POPULAR?" (Anton Ego, Peter O'Toole)

"In many ways the job of critic is easy.  We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment." (Anton Ego)  I too am guilty of the fact that it is more fun to write and read negative criticism than to make an earnest effort to look beyond and designate something as NEW.  I find Ratatouille to be as close to flawless as any movie can be.  It's script sublime, the animation superb, and the cast: perfection.

I will point out that Ratatouille is the film I would use as the textbook example of how to use shape to iconographically differentiate your characters and give clues to their inner forms. Be on the look out for how Remy is made up of triangles, Emile is a circle, and Anton Ego is distinctly coffin shaped.

Ratings:

Critics:  Must list
Foodees:  See it
Franco-Cinephiles:  See it
Janeane Garafalo: I didn't even know you were the voice of Colette Tatou.  Magnificent job.
Mother who makes the best food:  Must list

On scale of stinky meat to stinky cheese, I give Ratatouille 4.19 out of 5 stars.    

No comments:

Post a Comment