Monday, November 25, 2013

The Triplets of Bellville (2003)



(Silence)

I like languages.  I am good at some of them.  I am terrible at others.  I am terrible at French.  I wish I was better, but I am not.

For those of you who remember my post in Ratatouille of how spacial and shape iconography can be/should be used within animation as a tool to communicate with the audience, I present The Triplets of Belleville as a striking if off-putting example of the same principle.  It is as if the artists and directors set out on a task of making the shapes speak louder than the characters and then stretched them out to outlandish proportions.  Champion is a skeleton with enormous thunder legs.  The henchmen are blocks, and anyone not a main character is outrageously fat.  The spacial communications of the Triplets of Belleville are actually a bit unnerving.

I will state that I loved the heart and soul that went into this amazing piece of Cinema.  As long as movies like this exist there is always hope for moments of brilliance in a commercial world.

Ratings:
Tour de France fans:  See it
Loved the Andrews Sisters?: See it
Fans of Music Land:  See it
French:  See it

On a scale of Dorian to Mixolydian, I give The Triplets of Belleville, 3.8 out of 5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment