Friday, September 7, 2012

Sneakers (1992)



"Cattle mutilations are up."  (Mother -Dan Aykroyd)

I don't think I have ever seen a Robert Redford film I didn't like.  Sneakers is no exception.  From my perspective, Sneakers is sort of a hybrid between The Sting and Ocean's Eleven.  My only wish is that it were slightly more stylish.  (That's a harsh criticism. hahaha)

 When it comes to All-Star cast movies, I generally think the key is that if everybody is having fun, the movie will be a success.  If your stars don't get along,you will have a goose egg.  In the case of Sneakers, I think the cast actually got along very well.  My guess is that Dan Aykroyd, and Sidney Poitier got along so well they might even stay in touch to this day.  The idea that Robert Redford was working with River Phoenix still blows my mind.  (I truly wish River was still with us.  He would be the new Robert Redford in a way Brad Pitt just can't.)  I do show my age in that it was refreshing to watch Mary McDonald in a role other than Larua Roslin.  Cast dynamics are hard in the simplest of movies, if I ever get the chance to meet Phil Alden Robinson, the director, I'll have to ask him how he did it?

Lastly, I want to give both praise and ribbings to the decision makers when it came to the soundtrack of Sneakers.  I think somewhere, sometime at some screening there may have been some commentary that the movie lacked excitement.  So I think the solution was to apply EXTREMELY LOUD like 1950's horror film excite inducing background music to any scene where it was clear things were supposed to be exciting.  IT WORKED!!!  I just sort of wished Mr. Robinson had used a scalpel instead of a club.

Spys:  See it

Super Spys:  Skip it

Admiral Adama:  See it  (Laura R was even prettier back in 1992)

Teams:  See it

John Williams:  Skip it

On a scale of S'more to S'moreo, I give Sneakers 3.65 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment