Sunday, July 1, 2012

Project X (2012)



"I'm sorry dude.  I lied.  I don't know how to fix any of this." (Costa)  I can honestly say that I was super surprised by the quality of this film.  I just sat down on friends couch and they said, "Hey, We're watching Project X.":  Seldom does that lead to something memorable.

Here is the thing I thought was the best about Project X:  the pacing.  if the movie opened with something great or even let the party get out of control too quickly, the whole movie would have been ruined.  It's like you start your amp out at 11.  You can't go up after that.  It some ways it reminded me of "Zulu" or "The Battle for Helm's Deep".  Great directors and editors know how to tease an audience to build anticipation and skepticism.-{ Yeah, there is really no way this party can get any crazier...- and then it does.}

I thought the home movie aspect of the film made it somehow more believable and allowed the audience to lose sense of that this was a movie.  -nice touch

As for the actors.  I liked them all enough.  But the only memorable performance is Oliver Cooper as "Costa".  I really hope he is a genuinely nice and decent man in real life, so it was actually an acting challenge to be that much of a greasy reprehensible douchbag on screen.  (Somehow, I still thoroughly enjoyed the character.)

Ratings

24 Hour party people: Must see

Kid N' Play:  See it

Barney Stinson:  See it  (it's Legen----)


Parents:  Skip it  (You really don't want to know all that could go so wrong or so right with your teenagers.)


Up and coming directors:  Watch it for a clinic on how to pace a story.


On a scale of Order to Chaos, I give Project X 3.62 out of 5 stars.    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment