Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Rum Diary (2011)



"What was that drug we took?  -Idunno - We should get more of it." (Johnny Depp's character)  [Hmmmmmmmmm] That is about all that I can muster to say about The Rum Diary "hmmmmmmm".  While I liked the concept of  watching Johnny D drunkenly saunter around Puerto Rico, even that would have required a plot.  Nothing they did made sense other than it was a strange milieu of nostalgic progressiveism cast against 1950's era swine bred fat american capitalists in a tropical paradise.  (It should have been cool......It was not.)

There were some points in favor of the movie.  The beautiful vista shots are in fact beautiful and somehow not hammy.  Nice job cinematography crew.  Johnny Depp and the cast were reasonable and none of them should feel shame for being in this movie.  (Oh, watching JD breath fire from high proof rum was pretty cool. -I hope he did his own stunts.)  The CG tongue for their LSD scene was also rather excellent.

This is one of those movies that I wished had just stayed in my head as fiction.  My brain version of this movie was shorter and better than the real deal.

Ratings:

Like drug movies?:  Watch Fear and Loathing

Dreamed of going to a far off tropical paradise?:  Skip it

Like drinking?:  Watch the Big Lebowski or just something better.

Johnny Depp-ophile?:  I suppose you HAVE to see it.

PETA:  Skip it  (They go to a cock fight.  I'm sure the birds weren't harmed during production...but

On a scale of desert island to dessert island, I give The Rum Diaries 1.945 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment