Saturday, July 28, 2012

My Neighbor Totoro {となりトトロ} (1988)

 

”まっくろくろすけ、出っておいで!” (めい)

Totoro may be one of the cutest kid films of all time.  It sort of defies logic. [Kids defy logic....so I guess this should just be expected.]

I've lost track of how many times I've seen this movie.  [also defies logic...]

This time when I was watching I found myself asking a question I had not really asked before, "where is the mother Totoro?"  It's pretty hard not to notice the parallels between the Totoro family and the human family. They both have three members.  Both families have a dad, a middle child and a very small child.  Yet, the human family has a mother who is absent and in the hospital.  Which begs my question of "where is mama Totoro?"  

I also wondered if Totoro is doing the same thing for his family that Mei and Satsuki's father is doing.  I had always understood that Dad had moved the family out into the country to ensure that his children had a happy childhood unfettered by the concerns and reality of the city.  He wants them to experience childhood "aka the Totoro" while they still can.  Maybe the Totoro wants his children to experience their childhood too before it's too late.

Yeah and Catbus is always awesome.

Ratings:

Kids:  See it

Adults: See it

South Parkers:  See it  (I've seen the episode where Cartman aka The Coon meets up with Kuthulu and rides him.  It's a clearly influenced by Totoro.)

Classic Cineophiles: See it

 Looking for a reason to hate things:  Skip it

On a scale of Thunder in a jar to lightning in a bottle, I give My Neighbor Totoro 4 out of 5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment