Saturday, June 23, 2012

Thor (2011)


 

 “You’re not the God of Thunder….but you should be….”  I’m never sure how a movie can be both well-made and yet disappointing at the same time.  Thor directed by Kenneth Branagh is an excellent example of a movie made in the truest of contradictions.  Anthony Hopkins as Odin was a remarkable choice….but I couldn’t shake the feeling like he and Rene Russo found this movie beneath them.  Somehow their hearts were just not in it.  I loved Chris Heinsworth’s portrayal of Thor.  I hated all of his friends.  Natalie Portman did nothing to merit being in the movie.  (Nothing against her as an actor, just against the writers of Thor.)
                The real secret to why Thor was an above average Marvel movie- Take that Davedevil- was Loki and Heimdahl.  Idris Elba you are fantastic.  I might not have had the courage to cast you if I were in charge.  It is often a better thing that I am not in charge.
                Loki made it cool to wear giant horns again.  That itself makes the movie worth watching.  It is sort of sad that I thought the plot of Loki’s origins and his vengeance mixed with needing to prove himself to his father was a better plot than the rest of the movie.  Tom Hiddleston, you were a much much better actor than Sir Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman, and Chris Heinsworth.  Keep on starring in Marvel movies please. 

Ratings

Real GODs:  Skip it

Mythologists:  Skip it

SUPER CUT- Man watchers:  See it

Marvelists:  See it

Gluttons:  See it

On a scale from Fafnir to Ragnorok, I give Thor 2.8 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment