Monday, January 2, 2012

The Departed (2006)



I typically like Martin Scorsese movies.  It think it has to do with his understanding of when and how to make a cut.  The Departed was no exception.  This movie had a great cast, above average theme music, and superb pacing.  I especially like the deft way that Scorsese got through all the prologue without getting bogged down in minutia.  Scorsese sure knows how to get a movie started.  The only actor's performance that I wouldn't give at least a 8 out of 10 was Matt Damon.  Personally, the character lacked an on screen moment of self-doubt.  Somehow, I missed an opportunity to see him without his facade.  On the flip side, I very much enjoyed the performance of Vera Farmiga as doctor/girlfriend of Damon/DeCaprio.  I especially like the way that I could see the moment she "broke" and internally broke up with Matt Damon.  Some of the positives were:  killer dialogue filled with cursing; Kudos Marky Mark Whalberg, the pure paranoia that was Leonardo DeCaprio, and Jack Nicholson's unadulterated contempt for everyone but himself.

Ratings:

Forensic Psychologists:  See it

Frat Boys: See it

Snitches:  See it

Family Values Committees: Skip it

People with clinical "trust" issues: Skip it

On a scale from Jordash jeans to Hammer pants, I give The Departed 4 out of 5 stars.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment