Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)




I went into this movie with high expectations.  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is rated #50 on the AFI top 100 list.  That any of my expectations were met is an astounding compliment.  Robert Redford and Paul Newman are just that cool.  The quotes of the movie still resonate today.  

Butch Cassidy: "If he'd just pay me what he's spending to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him."


Butch Cassidy "Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

Sundance Kid: Well, I think I'll get saddled up and go looking for a woman. 
Butch Cassidy: Good hunting. 
Sundance Kid: Shouldn't take more than a couple of days. I'm not picky. As long as she's smart, pretty, and sweet, and gentle, and tender, and refined, and lovely, and carefree... 

It was like watching what Brad Pitt and George Clooney wished they were.  Besides the acting what was even more impressive was the way in which the story was shot and the choice of shots included.  It's hard to make a true to life several day horseback tracking seem exciting on film.  Everything is just so far away and very little of the action is bold enough to necessarily have to be filmed.  Yet, hats off to the directors and actors for making it a chase for the ages.  

Ratings:

Mustache enthusiasts: See it

Cowboy Wannabes:  See it

Comedic Duos: Must see

Ladies infatuated with roguishly charming bad boys: See it

Historians: Skip it

On a rating of rhubarb pie to strawberry rhubarb pie, I give Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 4.0 out of 5 stars.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment