Saturday, July 1, 2017

A View to a Kill (1985)


















James Bond: And what if I'm thrown?
Max Zorin: Then you lose.


Stacey Sutton: I only have a few leftovers in the fridge. I'm a pathetic cook.
James Bond: Well, I'll lend a hand.
Stacey Sutton: You can cook?
James Bond: I've been known to dabble.

So Roger Moore's last Bond is likely his best. (Or at least in contention with TSPWLM). A View To A Kill (AVTAK) had everything that was required for good James Bond and a decent movie in general.  Christopher Walken and Grace Jones are spectacular.

It is painfully obvious at this point in 1985 that Roger Moore was too old to play JB. It's not that he didn't do a good job, it's just that the age difference between him and the Bond girls is over the line.

I was unclear about why there was a horse racing plot, but it didn't seem to matter. What matters is the great blimp chance to the showdown on the Golden Gate.

Here's somethings I noticed and thought about while watching AVTAK.

  1. For 1985, AVTAK is almost nostradamus like in predicting the power of the Bay Area and computers in general.
  2. AVTAK actually spells out the plot for Goldeneye at one point
  3. AVTAK was much better in terms of practical and inventive gadgets, vehicles, and props.  Huge fan of the firetruck ladder sequence. I hope that the director of Terminator III got his inspiration from here.  It seemed to track with what they did for Arnold. 
From Jenny Flex to Elsa Schneider, I give A View To A Kill 3.2 out of 5 star.



No comments:

Post a Comment