Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Never Say Never Again (1983)

Fatima Blush: Write! Now write this: "The greatest rapture in my life was afforded to me on a boat in Nassau by Fatima Blush." Sign: "James Bond, 007."
James Bond: I just remembered. It's against Service policy for agents to give endorsements.

Nurse: Mr. Bond, I need a urine sample. If you could fill this beaker for me?
James Bond: From here?

So 1983 must have been just a Bond hey-day. 2 Bonds in 1 year. 

Never Say Never Again (NSNA) is the last Connery Bond and he was 52 during filming. His love interest, Kim Basinger, was 29. That out of bounds of half age plus seven rule. I can understand why both he and Moore were phased out. 

Interestingly, I thought I recognized this story. It was like Thunderball, but not. And, now having read the wiki on the film 1, I can say with confidence that NSNA is, in fact, Thunderball 2.0. Seeing as Thunderball is a decent Bond, NSNA is on the positive side of the pantheon. Yet, it stands out in several key ways.
  1. It doesn't have a shadowplay 60's entendre opening. 
  2. The song is just awful.  -Please make me listen to All Time High again! Please!
  3. It employees a lot of old jokes. 
  4. Spectre is back
After so many films, it is almost bizarre to see a different production company and supporting cast take on all the familiar roles; M, Q, Moneypenny, etc. I thought of the alternate universe from fringe on several occasions. 

On a scale of smuggling candy into summer camp to smuggling vodka, caviar, foie gras, and quail eggs to James Bond at a health center, I give Never Say Never Again 2.88 out of 5 stars. 

On a strange point, I find it unsettling that Octopussy outperformed Never Say Never again in terms of financial returns. There is no question in my mind which is the better movie.  

But, the Moore vs Connery battle, in this case, went to Moore.   -But the judges are wrong. 



No comments:

Post a Comment