Saturday, July 22, 2017

Goldeneye (1995)



"I am invincible!!!" -Boris

Goldeneye was where my Bond journey began.  I think I saw it in 1996. I played an enormous amount of the video game.  To say that I have favourable attachments is an understatement. So be it.

As Bond's go, it still holds up, but it has aged and lacks a lot of the luster that once made it special. Now it's just an exemplary member of a group.

Pierce Brosnan is like 1/2 Connery and 1/2 Dalton. 0% Moore.  It's a decent play. Less sexist than Connery -though still sexist, and more humorous than Dalton.

The physics of going after a falling plane don't work. So, what? It's awesome!

I think what is lost on me now is the portrayal and writing of a movie about post-soviet Russia. The Union only dissolved in 1992, so this the first Bond of a new age.  Russians as implacable well trained adversaries are one thing. The exploration of corruption, betrayal and power vacuum is way more interesting. Well done, writers.

I don't like Jack Wade.  Bring back Felix Leiter please. *They may have done this simply because of Felix's brutal murder in LTK.

Robbie Coltrane as a Russian gangster Valentine Zukovsky was a stroke of genius.

Lastly, when I think back on it now, I am sure that producers jumped on the chance to send Bond to Russia -this is the first time.  The soviets probably did not allow or like the idea of Bond destroying their country, but the new Russians were likely looking to show how open they were to the West -probably got some money too.

Yeah so Bond basically destroys St. Petersburg with a tank.  I wonder if there are Russians my age or older who consider Goldeneye a black stain on their history and a victory dance on the grave of their nation?

On a scale of terrorist to freedom figher, I give Goldeneye 3.65 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment