Saturday, July 1, 2017

The Living Daylights (1987)

Image result for the living daylights

Kara Milovy: What happened?
James Bond: He got the boot.

James Bond: I know a wonderful little restaurant in Karachi. We should get there just in time for dinner.

[James Bond and Kara Milovy snow-slide through customs in a cello case]
James Bond: [yelling] We have nothing to declare.
Kara Milovy: [yelling] Except this cello.

I've now moved into the Timothy Dalton era of Bond.  To be honest, I am not sure why Timothy Dalton gets a bad rap. I actually enjoyed him and The Living Daylights (TLD) a great deal. The song by A-ha is really catchy. I like that Timothy Dalton's growly Bond with more assassin less playboy.

And I will basically watch anything with John Rhys-Davies -even Sliders.

Here is what really could set people off about TLD.  Bond teams up with the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan to take on the Russians.  -Rambo does this in Rambo III too.  But, in reality this is James Bond teaming up with the Taliban and proto-Al-Qaeda/Osama Bin Laden types.  My my my did we have a different opinion of them in 1987.  They even show up as Kara's guests of honor at an end of film concert.

What about 2017 films will seem off putting in 2047?

My own tastes not tending towards the flashy/gadget and one liner driven Bond movies. TLD is highly enjoyable. Confusing, but enjoyable.

On a scale of a Stradivarius cello named Lady Rose to a cello name Sue, I give The Living Daylights 3.22 out of 5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment