Sunday, June 4, 2017

Live and Let Die (1973)



Rosie Carver: But you couldn't. You wouldn't. Not after what we just done.
James Bond: Well, I certainly wouldn't have killed you before.

James Bond: Butterhook!

Ughhhh so yeah Live and Let Die (L&LD) is the worst of the Bond films as I watch them all. -Others could still yet contend, but....it would be tough.

In his continuing Amero-crentrism, James Bond takes on Voodoo in New Orleans. It's not exactly a world crisis....just a heroin monopoly plot. I would say the only thing going for L&LD is James Seymour. Whose role as Solitaire kept the movie strange and hokey. I think the costume designers were trying to go for the Ming the Merciless or  Evil Unaloq look.
  

The song by Wings -AKA Paul McCartney is fun, if not iconic, vastly superior to the movie.

In short, it was interesting/intriguing/difficult to watch Bond immerse himself in "highly stylized" African American culture of the early 1970s. L&LD seemed to approach the community through the lens of exoticism and magic power -Voodoo, etc. I'm sure they said it was made for "Global" consumption.

I also learned that I had been mispronouncing and misunderstanding Baron Samedi (There is no pronunciation guide to GoldenEye for N64)

Lastly, the addition of the fat, racist, stupid, and unintelligible Louisiana sheriff with a brother-in-law named Billy Bob was just painful to watch. Suddenly, James Bond became Smokey and the Bandit (and this is 4 years before Smokey and the Bandit). [Hey, maybe this is where Buford T Justice and Boss Hog came from?]

On a scale of I just stopped watching to I came back because I wanted to complete the journey, I give Live and Let Die 1.95 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment