Saturday, November 12, 2016

Today's Special (2009)



Akbar: they say the Shah of Iran visited India once and said eating with a knife and fork was like making love through an interpreter.

I pretty much watched this because it stars and was written by Asif Mandvi. 

The result is a positive but unremarkable movie. My favorite character was the father, Hakim, played by Harish Patel. He played a perfect combination of concern, former authority figure, father, and disappointment. 

Other stand outs were Naseeruddin Shah and Kumar Pallana.

My big take away was that Today's Special made me think about my mother. She cooks. She doesn't have a recipe. She doesn't measure, and it tastes great.

I wish I had that kind of soul.  I'm a good cook, but I need a plan, and often it tastes like I cooked by numbers. 

Jazz and feel vs. measured and cold classical music

On a scale of Salt n' Pepper vs Masala Curry, I give Today's Special 2.44 out of 5 stars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment