Saturday, November 12, 2016

The Fundamentals of Caring (2016)


Dot: I told you I only date assholes.

So, if someone asked me if the idea of Paul Rudd taking a boy with muscular dystrophy to see The World's Biggest Pit was a reasonable premise for a movie, I would have said no.  Don't make it. 

But, they did and I saw the result.  

It is genuinely  nice to be proven wrong. 

The Fundamentals of Caring was not a great movie, but I have positive feelings about it. 

I kinda hate when movie dialogue and shy away from positive asshole-ry.  I think that for a lot of people the closer a relationship the less formal and more raw one can be. This leads to expletives and dark dark jokes that in any other circumstance would be considered abhorrent, but are often delightful. The difference between "I will kill you." and "I will murder you by putting your face in den of fire ants and hungry rats." My own tendency for showing affection through the dark and disturbing puts me at an advantage to empathizing with the main characters of The Fundamentals of Caring. I appreciate the tricky high-wire act that they display. 

If you find this kind of humor and affection unsettling, you might not enjoy The Fundamentals of Caring. 

On a scale of gallows humor to The Pun-itentiary, I give The Fundamentals of Caring 2.5 out of 5 stars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment