Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pitch Perfect (2012)



"I ate my twin in the womb." (Lilly)
"Crushed it" (Fat Amy)
"Adding ACCA to anything."  (Me)

I told some people that I saw this movie before I wrote this, and they all immediately gravitated to that I would hate it.  Hmmmm does the rest of my blog lead others believe that I would  note like "Pitch Perfect"?  (Comment if you have an opinion.)

In contrast to the above opinion, I thought Pitch Perfect was thoroughly enjoyable movie.  It's completely worth ones time on a plane or on Netflix or when you're not feeling well and on the couch.  I did not actively seek to watch Pitch Perfect...but I'm glad I've seen it.

I think what I liked about Pitch Perfect was that it simultaneously took itself seriously enough for the audience to have some level of investment, but never forgetting that this a movie about competitive acapella groups in college.  (It's a silly thing -let's be honest.)  (My guess is that the director has seen Road House and knew what to shoot for.  Nice job!)

Secondly basically all the gags, one liners, and horrible puns worked.  They could have fallen flat..but they didn't.  I actually really liked the "nodes" jokes and the you can't quite hear what Lilly is saying jokes.  I give equal credit to the cast and the writers for spot on hyperbolic understanding of how college acapella operates.

Oh the acapella arrangements are very nice.

Ratings:

Sirens: See it

Trads: See it

Hipsters:  Skip it

13-14 year old girls at a sleepover:  See it

John Michael Higgins, Elizabeth Banks, Donald Faison, Jason Jones, and Har Mar SuperStar:  Mos Def.  You were all delightful in your silly bit roles.

On a scale from a fermatta to whole note, I give Pitch Perfect 3.47 out of 5 stars.



1 comment:

  1. I love Har Mar, but I hate Acapella music. I don't think I will ever watch this, but you never know. Anyway nice review I like the roadhouse reference.

    ReplyDelete