Monday, January 21, 2013

Pulp Fiction (1994)



" You're calling in The Wolf! **}#^ that was all you had to say." ( Samuel Jackson)

" It's not a motorcycle baby. It's a chopper." (Bruce Willis)

I was getting sick and tired of everyone I know telling me I was weird for not having seen Pulp Fiction. I had always operated under the assumption that I would eventually see it without having to go out of my way. That's how I saw other Tarantino films. But, alas, I bit the bullet and put Pulp Fiction on my iPad and watched it in an airport on a long layover.

So, yeah it's good. But, more than that, I guess I have to give Pulp Fiction the moniker of groundbreaking cinema. I basically have to do that because, I realize now that I have been living in a post Pulp Fiction cinema world for the past 19 years. All credit where credit is due.

However, this does not mean that I found Pulp Fiction infallible or flawless. I kind of felt it was jarring to have Vincent die in the middle of film and then continue his story from before later in film. It makes sense and all, and I'm sure Quentin could tell me all the reasons for his choice, but I found the timeline jumping in this regard to be jarring and disruptive to my suspension of disbelief.

I also thought that just a little bit more continuity between when Butch wins the fight and when he escapes would have made my transition between stories easier.

But, yeah the story, the acting, the cinematography, the script, and the panache of Pulp Fiction were unparalleled.

50s diner dancing never looked so good.

Ratings:

Uneasy with realistic drug use?: skip it

Demand truly realistic scripts: skip it

Time travelers: See it

Film studies majors: see it

Fixers: see it

On a scale of the standard system to the metric system, I give Pulp Fiction 4.1 stars out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. it's "panache", anyway nice review I agree I think the timeline thing is jarring but as you said at the time it was groundbreaking. For me the only drawback to the movie is how it is so well loved other Tarantino movies always get lambasted as not as good as "Pulp Fiction" or especially "Reservoir Dogs" in my mind well Pulp Fiction is good I think Tarantino's most recent movies Inglorious Bastards and Django Unchained have been his best. Don't get me started on Reservoir Dogs....
    Regardless nice review keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete