Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sabrina (1954)



"Democracy can be a wickedly cruel thing Sabrina.  Nobody poor was ever called democratic for marrying somebody rich."  (Thomas Fairchild)

Ahhh Audrey Hepburn,  You were, and since your immortalized on film will always be, gorgeous.  Humphrey Bogart, no one delivers one liners like you.  I've seen you say horrible things to people in like 6 movies and people and characters still seem to adore you.  It's a rare gift.  William Holden, you were perfect in your role, except that I kept thinking about how much you look like Connor Trinneer http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0872997/  .  Simple 50s plot, simple direction, an excellent script, and fantastic use of music.  I do love "la vie en rose".  and Yes, I,too, have no bananas today. I was suitably impressed with Billy Wilder's ability to keep the plot going when the action was taking place in multiple locations.  Under less able hands it actually might have gotten confusing.  Additionally, I think that its refreshing to go back and see a movie that isn't under the constant pressure of a modern motion picture to "go faster".  I think Sabrina is something like 90 minutes, but it feels blessedly longer.  -Cant's say that about too many films.  I completely agree with any city's decision to show this movie in the park after sunset on a warm summer evening.

Ratings:

Dates:  No brainer,  See it

Getting over a breakup?:  Sure...at least it won't make things worse.

Love Paris?:  Watch this, and then watch a movie that takes place in Paris

Grinches:  Skip it

Want to be effortlessly gorgeous?:  See it.  Men watch Humphrey B.  Women watch Audrey H.

On a scale from Yachting to Submarining, I give Sabrina (1954) 3.8 out 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment