Tuesday, August 21, 2012

God Bless America (2011)



"Naw, I don't want to kill that guy, I want him to suffer."  (Joel Murray)

Well done Bobcat.  Well done.  When I was told that Bobcat Goldwaith had directed  a shoot-em-up about taking back rage on mean people.  I was intrigued but had very very low expectations.  Interestingly, I was not as impressed with the plot of the movie as much as I was floored by the craft and effort it took to make this movie with heart and the best of intentions.  (The irony of what i write in comparison to the film is so thick, I could spread it on rocks.)  I also want to congratulate Joel Murray on a job well done. -Yes, Joel Murray: the other other Murray.  It is semi-unfortunate that you were outshown by Bobcat.

I think the way to tell that movie is made by a true craftsman and not just some hack is that they know how to flow seamlessly between scenes and stretch the narrative to include dichotomies that are simple and profound. It's so hard to do the simple things well. Cuts-pans, overlays, and inter-splices are so easy to overlook but so glaringly obvious when they are done poorly.   I like the music matched the actions seamlessly without becoming a soundtrack, and best of all that scenes could play with other times and spaces to bridge gaps in the story was magnificent.  For example, at one point our main character is disgusted by a spoiled child, that interplays perfectly with his own child demanding an Ipod.

This movie also knew how to play right into my dislikes of useless people, mean people, and above all "My Super Sweet Sixteen."  There is no greater sin than giving a child teenager everything they could possibly want.

Ratings

Mean Douche Bags:  See it

You talk in the Theater:  Be afraid.  Be very afraid

Feel like you TV is just yelling at you sometimes:  See it

Wallow in your own idiocy and sloth?:  Skip it

Haters:  See it

On scale from Parthenon to the Colosseum, I give God Bless America 3.68 out of 5 stars.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment