Saturday, June 30, 2018

Dunkirk (2017)

Image result for dunkirk movie
Commander Bolton: The tide's turning now.

Captain Winnant: How can you tell?

Commander Bolton: The bodies are coming back.

Dunkirk was for me a masterclass in cinematography and the proper use of Handheld vs. Stationary vs. Steadycam work. I think Christopher Nolan hit just the right tone with his selection of which camera type fit his needs. I think that his was a necessity for the film because of the four basic level on which it took place: the sky, the boats, the beach, and the water. Each distinct area was best served by different camera work.  -Brilliant.  Honestly, this is probably the best camera work done for planes and arial combat I'v seen in years. 

Now, on a story element, I couldn't help but feel a little like Charlie Brown with the football being pulled away over and over. The main characters just had to go through all the steps and all the setbacks and all the terror to make it compelling. But it is a credit to the film that at each juncture I logically believed that the characters had made it -only to have it all pulled away..again. 

3.8 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment