Saturday, June 23, 2018

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Image result for solo a star wars story
Han Solo: I heard a story about you. I was wondering if it's true.

Lando Calrissian: Everything you've heard about me is true.

So in the long tradition of Disney cash grabs comes Solo: A Star Wars story. A well-meaning if benign take on the origins of Han Solo. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but also not a lot right. I personally felt that it lacked soul. It was a well-constructed, visually entertaining, bit of camp with a good cast that appears to have emerged fully formed from the product strategy group of Disney. I understand there were some issues with the Director position, hence the need to bring in Ron Howard, but even he can't mask the paucity of passion that meh'd throughout the film.

While I understand the good intentions of having the droid be a radical for droid rights and I am in favor of the obvious corollaries to current social trends of the past 10 years, I hated the execution. It all played to me like when a Jostens representative told me that the "dazzle" tassel was really "bling bling".

To all you business folks out there, remember that bringing together Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water is not enough to make Captain Planet. You need Heart.  So does Solo: A Star Wars story. 

3 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment