Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Help (2011)

Image result for the help"Minny don't burn the chicken." -Minny Jackson

The help is one of those movies that I kept seeing in parts. And now, I have finally seen it in its entirety, uninterrupted, and as they intended. It happened.

There are a number of topics within The Help that deserve and have been discussed online for the past 7 years. These include, racism, structural racism, inequality, civil rights, power, social structure, and more, but I thought I would bring up a specific choice by the creators that I noticed more in the breath of fresh air from it's absence. In this case, men.

Men are specifically and almost in a reverse of the tradition of storytelling/cinema, not included. There are male characters, but they serve as the backdrop and seem to expected to be almost inconsequential or to serve as a foil. The only man of any serious not, Stuart Whitworth is presented only as a reminder of the cost of change against the status quo.  It's refreshing to see so much space for women in a story by the conscious relegation of men to the background. They might be heard, but they are generally not seen, and their thoughts aren't of particular consequence.  Not every movie needs this, but I like it when it is done right and want to see these sorts of choices more often.

Here was another thought, as I want to give a particular nod to the excellence by Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain. BDH, I have in the past not enjoyed your performance- but your portrayal of the scurrilous Hilly Holbrook was wonderful. It makes the film to have the villain played with such contempt and competency. JC,  I actually didn't know you were Celia Foote, and that is one of the best compliments I can give. You disappeared.   Yet, I realized that let's say Hilly was 25 in 1963 as was Celia.  So born in 1938, if they were alive today they would be 80 years old (not impossible). So, would they have been real, it is entirely possible that 72 year old Hilly and Celia went to see The Help.  It's hard for me to empathise and imagine with what they thought about how accurate the social norms and structures of Jackson were portrayed. How do they feel about this that the standards of their prime years are now maligned for a global audience? I don't know. But, there are people we can ask. 

I would encourage all to engage in discussions on this topic with older generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment