Monday, March 26, 2018

Coco (2017)

Image result for coco

























I think Pixar has a rule. If they audience does not cry, we have failed as filmmakers. There's just something about the culture of an organization that can continue to create quality.  Coco is admittedly not the greatest of all Pixar films, but I don't care, because it is of the highest quality.

There was a meme I read a while back about that Pixar movies could be expressed simply:

What if_____had feelings?  And Coco is exactly that.  What if the dead had feelings?  And this is not an existential question. In a colorful, profound, and unrepentantly Mexican story, Pixar made me consider the feelings of the dead and how they affect our current lives.

My own thoughts were with my Great-grandmother Esther. When I was young, it was natural for me to be a child and focused on my own experiences, but as an adult there is little more I would want to do than to spend time with Esther again and ask her about all the things she saw; all the changes she witnessed, everything. And as my grandparents and parents, move on, Coco has reminded me (and hopefully everyone) that history is about living memory, songs, stories, and life as much as it about names, dates, and books. If we forget how to remember, then we are officially untethered from all that has come before. Sounds like, I should play another round of Yatzee with Grandma over tea.

Hats off Pixar.  -you once again made me cry.


No comments:

Post a Comment