Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Pacific Rim (2013)

Image result for pacific rim
"Today we are cancelling the apocalypse!" -Stacker Pentecost

Guillermo Del Toro has kind of cracked the code. (And I am in no way certain that he is the innovator.) But, it seems that for a huge chunk of the modern film going office doesn't care about the details of things like plot, character development, structure, science, etc. What they do care about is monsters and robots that fight. I repeat, monsters and robots that FIGHT. Guillermo Del Toro feels similarly and made a film to meet his desires and their wants. 


If I were to accept Pacific Rim on its own terms, then it comes off pretty well. Unfortunately, the CGI and costumes etc. did not really come close to suspending my disbelief. Oh, I disbelieved, I did. I thought they were slightly better effects than Beast Wars. Somehow, if they had been more unrealistic, or overly detailed, I would have would have engaged with film on a greater level. The middle ground never works. 

Yet, I am an old, structured curmudgeon, and I don't want to abandon art in favor of RAWRRRRR.  #oldmanisold

So, Pacific Rim is complete non-event for the release of monster stress. 

That doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable. It was!  And I love that GDT loves Kaiju.  Me too. 

Charlie Day, Ron Perlman, Rinko Kikuchi, and, or course, Idris Elba. Be in anything you want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment