Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Victoria & Abdul (2017)



Queen Victoria: I am cantankerous, greedy, fat, I am perhaps disagreeably attached to power, but I am anything but insane!

Statement: I am generally a fan of pseudo-histories. They are just enjoyable. They aren't false. They just aren't necessarily true. It's a chance to not play with outcomes, but rather to play with relationships and reasoning. In the case of Victoria & Abdul, the film tells the story of old Queen Victoria and her cultural/spiritual advisor/life coach from India, Abdul. It is historical, completely made up, dramatic, and hysterical all in a confused jumble. And, that makes it an out of sorts wonderful.

Musings: What is stopping more fake histories from being.  -Yes there was Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter...but whatever- what if JFK had a secret guru helping him with speeches? -How about Churchill's secret group of D&D players? The ideas are just fun to play with. As to Victoria & Abdul, I was pleasantly surprised with Dame Judy Dench's old Victoria performance. I confess, I knew very little about her final years, but she nailed the funny aspects of abhorrent privilege.

Again, Adeel Akhtar was perfect in his role. -and I will watch anything with Eddy Izzard. He made a great Edward IIV.

3.3 of 5 -Watch it. -thought I suspect there may be wildly divergent opinions on this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment