Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)



[the Hulk takes on Surtur]
Thor: Hulk, no! For once in your life, don't smash!
Hulk: But giant monster!

Short:  How is that colourful, if not enchanting storytelling, with capable actors feel so soulless? I really enjoyed Thor: Ragnok, but I can't shake the feeling that something is missing. What that is I can't quite say. (Maybe that's on me.) What I can say, is that Thor: Ragnarok was highly enjoyable return to extremely old styles of telling. It was also very funny.

Musing: I am not generally one to place color and music before emotion and depth, but in this case, my preconceptions were wrong. -Explosive use of color, Framed visual constructs, and a fantastically electro-pop score by Mark Mothersbaugh (of DEVO!!) were essential to the final positive product. On these scales, Thor: Ragnarok is a class above. -Superb. As to Thor representing older storytelling, I've been thinking about why those with one eye, can always see clearer? Odin had one eye. Oedipus lost both his. Urza was the Blind Seer. Zatoichi is unmatched with a sword, and Daredevil. It seemed somehow natural that Thor (spoilers) looses his eye only to fully understand the prophecy of Ragnarok. The destruction one brings will be one's salvation.

3.3 out of 5 -See it. (Listen to it most of all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment