Thursday, June 6, 2013

Frost/Nixon



"We're gonna make those MOTHERF***ers choke!" (Richard Nixon)
"Frame the question as a Quaker." (Bob Zelnick)
"Did you do any fornicating?" (Richard Nixon)
"I've never been challenged to a duel before." (Richard Nixon)

Okay, I admit it.  I have sort of a Nixon thing. I've seen lots of movies about him.  I've read 3 biographies cover to cover, and I still am fascinated by Richard Milhouse Nixon.  I hate the man.  Never was the term 'Schnook" ever more aptly applied to politician, but still I love the way he swore "Cocksuuuuckkers", love the way he fought; people thought he was dead with Checkers, they thought he was dead with Kennedy, they thought he was dead with the Governor of California, but still Richard Nixon persevered.  Never was their a President with more drive to "show um all" than Richard Nixon.  They only president to literally have to say to the American people "I am not a crook."  -As a side note to any of you who may now be regulars to the blog, if you have to tell someone you are not a crook; you are.

Now to the movie.  I loved it.  However, it will strictly not appeal to a large portion of you.  1. It has Richard Nixon. 2. It is a movie about a set of documentary interviews.  (whoa, meta)  3.  If you watch real close,Clint Howard is in it and I know some of you have hated him in everything just because of the "The Ice Cream Man". (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113376/)  But, if you are willing to give Frost/Nixon a chance and you love nerdy nerdy history, rhetoric, 70s technology, 70s fashion, and the Grand Arena of political debate and philosophy then Frost/Nixon is for you.

It has two wonderful performance from the leads.  Michael Sheen proves that he can in fact transform himself into basically anyone.  He will never ever be type cast.  Just for funsies, watch Tron Legacy and then Frost/Nixon to see if you can even fathom the differences in what Mr. Sheen can do.  As for Frank Langella, there is little to be said.  He was the best Nixon that I have ever seen on screen.

Ratings

60s Democrats:  See it

70s Democrats: See it

Those that are currently powerful:  See it

Those who are consistently and constantly mad at the world:  See it ( I hope it helps to break the cycle you are in.)

Rhetoriticians:  See it

On a scale of kickin Nixon around once to not having Nixon to kick around anymore, I give Frost/Nixon 4.1 stars out of 5.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment