Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Our Brand is Crisis (2015)

Image result for our brand is crisis

Jane: If you should feel emotion, could you just turn towards the camera?

Pat Candy:
You know, when Adlai Stevenson was running for president A woman came into him on a rally one night and said, "Every thinking person will be voting for you." Stevenson said "Ma'am, that's not enough. I need a majority."


If you are already jaded towards politics, or have been paying attention politically in the last 5 years, I don't recommend Our Brand is Crisis. If you are still capable of belief in the system, I recommend that you stay that way and don't watch Our Brand is Crisis.

As a jaded individual, I learned nothing new and achieved no epiphany of conviction or status from OBiC.  It was a nothing. Perhaps that was the point? If that was the point, why was the movie made? It had capable stars, a reasonable script, quick dialogue, a charlatan message, and I laughed at maybe 1-2 points. So why did I feel so...blergh about it?

My answer came in the realization that I watched OBiC in the fall of 2018.  It came out in 2015. In 3 years the shelf-life and meaning of OBiC has been rendered moot by actual national and global politics.

My advice is watch the news. You will both laugh and cry a lot more.

2.9 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment