Saturday, January 26, 2019

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

*Spoilers*
Image result for mary poppins returns
"What's a Leerie?!" -Jack

"The cover is not the book." -Mary Poppins

As an unnatural optimist, I obviously enjoy the original Mary Poppins quite a bit. I can sing many of the songs verbatim, and to borrow Kondo-san's phrase..it sparks joy for me.

"And you'll receive that sense of stature -as your affluence expands.  To that high financial strata -that established credit now commands." 

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Mary Poppins Returns. I merely made me happy for a little over an hour. That's not bad. Many movies just make me upset at humanity. But, MPR's ignition of joy simply failed to conflagrate.

-The formulaic, glue-like adherence to the structure of the original made the whole worse.
-The songs were mostly asymmetric and thus not as high quality ear worms.
-I kept thinking the leeries were doing a pole dance.....which they were.
-If you are a fan of true and authentic accents...close your ears.
-I totally get that Lin Manuel CAN rap. I just don't think he had to in a Mary Poppins.
-Jack and Jane was completely forced and devoid of love.
-I just think it was written by committee to try and have something for everyone...which meant it fully satisfied no one.

On the positive
-Dick Van Dyke can still tap dance.
-Angela Lansbury can still sing.
-Ben Whishaw made me cry with the song "A conversation"
-If you appreciate the truly authentically made up accent...then Lin Manuel continues the tradition.
-I like Emily Blunt's curt portrayal of Mary Poppins.  Meaner is better.

3.5 out of 5

If you are need of a pick-me-up.  I suggest it.







No comments:

Post a Comment