Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Steve Jobs (2015)












Steve Wozniak: It's not binary. You can be decent and gifted at the same time.

Andy Hertzfeld: I have a solution but it's risky and borderline unethical.
Steve Jobs: I'm listening.

So Steve Jobs is the kind of movie I should like. Aaron Sorkin wrote it. It has a great cast. Its script is a delight. It's bold in its structure of 3 acts. And the emotional points resonate. 

Unfortunately, I didn't like it. 

Strange that something so set up to succeed with me didn't. Mayhaps, I am the problem. After thinking about I've been wanting to compare Sorkin to Yasujiro Ozu. My theory is that while I never tire of an Ozu film that is more or less the same perfected version of all his movies (tofu), Aaron Sorkin is only capable of writing Sorkin-esque scripts and those I do tire of. Snappy, Witty, Biting, Quotable, Quick, Literate, and To the Point. Those are the hallmarks of Sorkin, and I feel that his scripts are unmistakable. So much so that there are passable imitators. To Mr. Sorkin, I say bravo. But internally, I know that his particular brand of movie tofu is not ageless to my pallet. 

Perhaps I am suffering from movie anosmia?!  

There have been a lot of Steve Jobs portrayals lately, but Michael Fassbender's is by far the best. Without question. I know that there are many that worship at the alter of Jobs. (I've been known to offer an occasional sacrifice.) But, I think the man and the myth are 90% hagiography. 

3.789 out of 5.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment