Saturday, February 24, 2018

Black Panther (2018)

Image result for black panther

"This corset is really uncomfortable, so can we all just wrap it up and go home?"
―Shuri

Yup, another Marvel movie.

I am not one to use superlatives -best, fastest, greatest, etc.- I think they are just meaningless hype. So, I will do my best to not use any to describe Black Panther.

Black Panther was a wonderful movie; clearly in the top pantheon of the MCU. I think it is a success in terms of cast, story, and directing. And it also had glaring failures in terms of continuity and special effects.

Yet what is striking to me is that Black Panther is conceptually and specifically not targeting white audiences. This is certainly not the first film to do this (#knowsomecinemahistory) but it was refreshing to see a major studio release for a global viewers reject the default of a white audience. It is quite a sterling rebuke to the notion that catering to what "was" the norm is how to be successful, at least financially. This is an African/African American film for a changed audience. We shall see if this has moved the economic/cultural norms of the industry.

I want to particularly commend the performance of Letitia Wright as Shuri.  Fabulous! And your gun arms reminded me of Transmetal Cheetor.

Unfortunately, I do have to ask the question of why were the special effects so bad? The war rhinos were just out of place. (Not thematically or to the story.  WAR RHINOS!!) But, the digital execution fell well short, as did the fight sequences between the two Panthers. I get the feeling that Marvel producers and their digital houses may be not putting their best efforts into art, but rather producing piece-meal. 1000s of shots is no joke and takes hours and hours, but at the end of the day the only thing that they have to accomplish is to not take away from the overall experience. If I don't notice them, they've done their job.

I totally understand that Disney/Marvel has a proven track record of not being technical innovators. They use what they know works.  I don't need more unbelievable visual wizardry to keep my attention, but visual effects (low tech or high) should service the narrative and drama.

3.79 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment