Friday, November 10, 2017

Wonder Woman (2017)


Diana: This is Ares!

Short: Wonder Woman is leaps and bounds better than its predecessors in the DC Universe. Finally, a DC feature that understands that violence is actually the least interesting part of a story.

Long: I can't say that Wonder Woman was an excellent "Hero pic". It doesn't break the mold. But, it is a serious step forward for Zach Synder-esque sludge and for female led features. I do think that it is a double standard at least in terms of storytelling, casting, writing that a woman hero must be "attractive"; but I attribute this as certain parts, believability (especially given that the story is set in 1918), economic incentives, and social inertia. My own thoughts on progress bend towards radical/structural equality.  Chris Pine was acceptable, a little unbelievable, -but with a fun sacrifice. What didn't make Wonder Woman a home-run for me was the final battle with Ares. It lost all sense of space, time, and meaning in addition to the design of Ares missing the mark. It made me only think of Prof. Lupin as a slag wagon.

2.98 out of 5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment