Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)



"I am Groot." (Groot)

"What are you doing?" (Starlord to Rocket)
"I'm building a bomb." (Rocket to Starlord)
"In the middle of the living space!?" (Starlord to Rocket)
"Well I was going to put it in this box.." (Rocket)
"WHY!? would that make it better? (Starlord)

"I will not succumb to your pelvic sorcery." (Gamorra to Starlord)

Hmmmmmm chalk another one up for Marvel and Disney. They seem to understand how to get the most from their directors and actors.  They ask for some fiscal and business minded constraints....they give a great deal of artistic liberty with regards to theme, style, narrative, and more.  ( I assume they take a firmer hand when it comes to costly action sequences.)  It is this long term partnership between Marvel/Disney and those involved with production that has allowed for the creation of blockbuster after blockbuster.

Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn deserves all accolades for his bold choice to make the music of the movie the central connective tissue that will bind together millennials/gen-xers to an otherwise irrationally outlandish story. If it wasn't for the thorough musical grounding of Peter Quill in hits from the 70s, this whole movie would have been kaput.

Beyond that, I did not find the Guardians of the Galaxy to be anything special.  A good time? Totally. Worth my money? For sure. Worthy of a sequel? No doubt. Well written and acted? Super thumbs up. But a great movie? not really.

On scale of StarDuke to StarCount, I give Guardians of the Galaxy 3.7 out of 5 stars.

Oh and Lee Pace.  You are shortly becoming one of my favorite actors of the last decade.       

No comments:

Post a Comment