Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Monuments Men (2014)



"Just because we are fighting in a war, doesn't mean we can't eat well." (Private Preston Savitz)

Ughhhhh so, I had just the right amount of anticipation that this film could be good that I believed.  And to a certain level of viewer The Monuments Men may have succeed in passing off its recollectionist and paint by numbers movie as "Art", worth an honorable mention in movie lore.  I applaud all notions and attempts to bring art, history, and the divine to the masses.  We should all look up at the Madonna with Child or gaze at a Seurat with a sense of our shared history and that we are more than just flesh and needs.  Unfortunately, despite its remarkable cast, excellent subject matter, and neat locations, The Monuments Men as a film lacked any sparkle and fizzled like a bad first date.  I am sorry to George Clooney,  I respect you and look forward to better works from you in the future, writing, directing, acting, and otherwise.

On a profound note, my lack of interest in the movie, should not keep you from viewing The Monuments Men when and if you get the chance.  We could all use more art in our lives. I hope the Monuments Men does well and fulfills its mission to inform the populace about the importance of our shared cultural heritage and our obligation to protect that which remains of our history.

On a scale of French rudeness to American brashness, I give The Monuments Men 3.2 out of 5 stars.    

No comments:

Post a Comment