Saturday, December 7, 2013

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)



"She'll see it later honey. Her eyes are frozen over." -Ellen Griswold

On the 24th anniversary of Christmas Vacation, I decided to take in what I used to consider a classic and a gut-busting treat.  It is unfortunate that either I have become numb to joy or Christmas Vacation is not as funny or raucous as I remember.  I will never be convinced that Christmas Vacation is not awesome due to my early 90s childhood associations.  It may not be true, but it is my right to be obstinate.    

So here is a list of differences and how I felt about them.

Uncle Eddie is just sad and crass as opposed to cheap and hilarious
Clark Griswold is far more of an asshole than the lovable dad that I thought
Audrey is not funny.  She is just a whiny 80s teenager
Uncle Bethany and Uncle Lewis are just sad and in need of medical attention.  They should not be living alone.
Julia Dreyfus would sue the Griswolds so badly.
The sledding scene is still awesome if a bit campy and out of control.

On a scale of seeing Three ships on Christmas Day to One epic Christmas Night, I give National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 3.4 out of 5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment