Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cabin Boy (1994)



"I'm sorry, sir.  But, I was just wondering what drifters corpse you stole those shoes from." (Nathaniel Merryweather- Christ Elliot)

The last time I saw this was half asleep on a Sunday afternoon laying on my couch not paying attention to TBS circa 1997.  It hasn't gotten better.  It hasn't gotten worse either, so.......

Basically, Cabin Boy requires so much suspensions of disbelief it's disbelievable.  Even if you just go with it and let it be, it still doesn't make sense.  It was like if Jim Henson, and Barron Von Munchaussen had worked together on a pirate-esque movie.  Chris Elliot's shtick wears thin quick, but who cares.  Bill Murray's brother, The manager from Major League I and II, and Andy Richter keep it lively.

Cabin Boy is pretty quotable, but not the kind of one liners that stick with you more than a day.

Finally, after doing some research as to why Tim Burton didn't direct the movie, I couldn't find a solid answer. I wish he had directed it, if only to add on to the insanity.  Trying to bring rationality to this film would be a crime.

Ratings:

Daaaaavid Letterman:  yup

Monty Python Members:  I would have loved to see this movie star all of you.

Sharkey:  Bizarre

Writers: Skip it

Salty Dogs:  See it

On a scale of scurvy to rickets, I give Cabin Boy 2.0 out of 5 stars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment